Hi, I'm Shelby.
I'm into traditional, film, digital, social, visual, strategic, organized and striped things. With a 10 plus year background in content, TV, production, photography, social media, art direction, and creative direction I’m a 21st century story teller that thinks big and has the production skills to make those thoughts come to life. To me the whole creative and production process is important, from pushing strategically on a fresh truth that leads to a big idea, to guiding production to bring big ideas to life in a way never been done before. I get what defines a brand, am experienced in online and TV content and believe in the power of creativity to change lives for the better.
I'm most proud of: winning the first One Show pencil for MediaCom globally for the TV series Air Rescue, growing a creative focused team from 4 to 30 people nationally and mentoring 3 interns from fresh out of school to essential members of my team.
My work has been recognised by global award shows including: The One Show, The Cristal Awards, Global Festival of Media, Festival of Media Asia, Spikes Asia, Media Federation of Australia, AIMIA Awards, Australian Marketing Institute Award, Brave Awards, BADC Awards, Australian Banking and Finance Magazine, Campaign Brief Magazine, B&T Magazine and AdNews Magazine.
Right now you can find me at MediaCom Los Angeles working as a creative director making cool stuff.
If I’m not there I’m either behind the lens, on a run, in the saddle or under the water.
USA & Australian Citizen
Some of my work below:
MediaCom Los Angeles - September 2015 - Present
Partner, Creative Director
- Creative and content lead for MediaCom Los Angeles working across clients such as Playstation, Tempur-Sealy, Europa Films, TOMS and others.
- Member of Global MediaCom Beyond Advertising creative team.
MediaCom Australia, MediaCom Beyond Advertising - May 2011 - August 2015
- Creative lead across all MediaCom clients reporting directly to ECD.
- Lead digital creative, junior creative, social creative teams and design teams.
- Clients include: Audi, Skoda, Canon, P&G, Volkswagen, Westpac Bank, Alienware, Delonghi, REA, NSW & QLD Government, NRMA Insurance, Princess, Bayer, Revlon, Foxtel, Universal Pictures, EA Games, and The Starlight Foundation.
- Responsible for working with internal strategy and planning teams to identify creative opportunities with existing clients.
- Responsible for creative direction in all new business pitches.
- Responsible for conceptualising ideas for all creative briefs across non traditional media platforms (content, experiential, digital, social, integration, etc).
- Responsible for pitching/ presenting creative to new and existing clients.
- Responsible for conceptualising and overseeing execution of visual direction. (Inclusive of colour theory, typography, cinematography, editing, post production VFX, colour grading, design, photography, interactive design and 3D design).
- Responsible for working with the production department to execute ideas internally and through external production partners.
- Creative mentor to several employees within the business.
McCann Worldgroup - April 2010 - May 2011
Creative/ Art Director
- Creative across digital and traditional platforms for MasterCard, Kleenex Cottonelle, Uncle Tobys, Cure Cancer, Michael Hill, Lego, and Viagra.
- Responsible for conceptualising and overseeing execution of visual direction through design department. (Inclusive of colour theory, typography, cinematography, editing, post production VFX, colour grading, design, photography, interactive design and 3D design).
- Responsible for conceptualising ideas for creative briefs across non traditional and traditional media platforms.
Shelby Hayden Photography - April 2006 - April 2014
- Publications Include: Australian Women’s Weekly, Inside Sport, Waves TNT, Jetlag, Riptide, The Surfers Journal, Transworld Surf, Movement and Bodyboarder Magazines.
- Clients Include: Volkswagen, P&G, Cornetto, Hyundai NZ, Rydges Hotels, Sydney Children’s Hospital, The Sports Authority, Santa Barbara Salsa, Paragon Airways, Kisco Senior Living, Corman Leigh Communities, Classic Pacific Homes, Capital Pacific Homes, Rococo Laguna, Punta Dominical SA, Mission Hockey, Pacific Whey, BZ Proboards, Catch Surf and Hurley Surf.
Jetlag Magazine - January 2007 - March 2014
- Developed and executed an online interactive magazine for the youth travel market.
- Conceptualised and developed strategic vision for online magazine.
- Conceptualised ideas for expansion of web site to web 2.0 capabilities and direct web site design.
- Managed creative department and business operations including photo, copy, research, accounting, editing and team.
- Worked with designers, advertisers, distributors, and other creative partners.
Wandermelon.com - June 2009 - September 2010
Writer, Photographer, Editor, Marketing assistant
- Researched and prepared news posts.
- Created and implemented social networking campaign via Twitter & Facebook.
- Edited videos from stock footage for the video library.
- Shot and edited photographs for image gallery.
- Consulted on aspects of design / online marketing.
Rogers & Cowan Public Relations - February 2009 - May 2009
eMedia Account Assistant
- Developed campaign ideas for presentation to clients and media outlets.
- Researched and developed media sources per client profile.
- Pitched campaigns to media outlets.
- Participated in regular client meetings.
Chapman University - College of Performing Arts/Dodge College of Film and Media Arts - Orange CA, USA
Art Center College of Design - Pasadena, California
Proficient in - Adobe Creative Cloud, Final Cut Pro X, Adobe Lightroom, various colour grading programs and of course the MS office.
Silver - Festival of Media Asia - Best Content Creation Award
Silver - Festival of Media Asia - Best Entertainment Platform
Silver - Festival of Media Asia - Best Communications Strategy
Silver - Global Festival of Media - Best Event/Experiential Campaign
Bronze - Global Festival of Media - Best Entertainment Platform
Gold - Festival of Media Asia - Best Experiential Campaign
Shortlist - Festival of Media Asia - Best Entertainment Platform
Shortlist - Global Festival of Media - Best Use of Content
Silver - The One Show - Branded Entertainment/ Television Branded Content
Winner - BEFest Awards - Content Marketing Agency of the Year
Silver - BEFest Awards - Best use of Experiential
Cristal - Cristal Awards - Best Film, Series or Non-fiction Program - Branded Entertainment
Sapphire - Cristal Awards - Best Use or Integration of Experiential Events - Branded Entertainment
Winner - Australian Banking and Finance Magazine - Campaign of the Year
Winner - Campaign Brief Magazine 'The Work' - TV and Film
Bronze x2 - BADC Awards - Sound Production Craft - Original Compositions/Jingles
Silver - BADC Awards - Cinematography Production Craft
Bronze - Global Festival of Media - The Utility/ Public Service Award
Bronze - Global Festival of Media - Best Entertainment Platform
Shortlist - Global Festival of Media - Best Communications Strategy
Highly Commended - Festival of Media Asia - Best Entertainment Platform
Shortlist - Festival of Media Asia - Best Social Media Strategy
Shortlist - Festival of Media Asia - Best Use of Technology
Shortlist - Spikes Asia - Corporate Image & Information
Winner - MFA Awards - Finance/Insurance/Government
Shortlist - MFA Awards - Best Integrated Media Campaign
One Show Entertainment - Merit
B&T 30 under 30 - Nomination
Shortlist - Adnews Media Campaign of the Year
Shortlist - MFA Awards - IT & Consumer Durables
Shortlist - MFA Awards - Best Demonstration of Results
Shortlist - Global Festival of Media – Best Entertainment Platform
Shortlist - Global Festival of Media – Research Effectiveness
Shortlist - Asian Festival of Media – Best Entertainment Platform
Shortlist - Asian Festival of Media - Best use of Emerging Technology
Shortlist - Asian Festival of Media - Best Event/Experiential
Shortlist - AIMIA Awards - Best Entertainment
Shortlist - Australian Marketing Institute Award for Excellence
Shortlist - The Brave Awards - Best use of Branded Content (Entertainment)
Shortlist - The Brave Awards - Best use of Long Form Branded Content